P4G coming to PC

Anything related to the PCkek Masterrace
Esufer

P4G coming to PC

Post by Esufer »

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/persona ... on-june-13

Cool if true
I wonder if it's going to be a decent port or if the UI is just going to be the pixelated nightmare mess you usually get with psp emulation.

Diadu
Site Admin

Re: P4G coming to PC

Post by Diadu »

There's also rumors about P3 coming. And rumors of Bloodborne. One guy mentioned the P4G entry was from 2019. One of the guys on Twitter (Nibel or something) who keeps posting these things usually posts the dumbest shit out there - he even posts screencaps of his own tweets on /v/ - so those rumors are best taken with a grain of salt. If they come, I hope they don't charge you an arm and a leg. Considering the age, even 30€/$ would be too much. Man the UI is gonna be fine, the character portraits is what I am worried about.

As for Bloodborne, I don't get the hype and praise at all. It's just another souls game with the same awful engine and clunky gameplay. It looks pretty bad, runs pretty bad but gets praised left ant right for super deep combat and gameplay and I'm always like "Did we play different games?". I recall on release, I got into an internet fight with some dude who absolutely tried to convince me that Bloodborne is not a souls clone because the combat is more aggressive because of the lack of shields or something.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

After playing Sekowo, Bloodborne doesn't feel too good on the ol' combat front, but the level design and art direction is pretty good (as long as you don't look at the human character faces for too long holy fuck)

The fact it never got a PS4 Pro enhanced patch to at least fix the shitty frame pacing is pretty worrying and tells me that maybe it's not going to be well optimised for PC if it comes out for it. I'd welcome a PC port, as it means I can play it at (hopefully) a more stable frame rate with a nicer controller than the DS4. I also found Bloodborne the easiest to "put down" out of all the souls-like games, if that makes sense? Without having the phantom systems that I enjoyed in Dark Souls 1 and 3 (I didn't really put any time into 2), the game lost quite a bit of draw for me.

My only exposure to P4 is unfortunately the anime (i know) and the fighting games which I enjoyed a fair amount, so I'm quite excited at the prospect of playing it, especially after how much I enjoyed 5.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Ah well, P4G is def the best version not only because of the new content but also because of the QoL changes they made to Persona fusion. There was already a HUGE improvement going from P4 to P3P with skill cards but P4G goes a step further and lets you select the skills you want to carry over to the new Persona which really made fusing an immune belzebub that much easier and less frustrating. So yeah, if you were never able to play it and they release it on PC, go for it.

As for the souls games, if you have played one to death, you've played them all to death. The Atmosphere in BB - the whole lovecraft vibe - is really fucking great and it's a goddamn shame that it had to be a souls game that does this. To me they resemble these cheap weeb games that NISA kept pushing out - all using the same gameplay skeleton but with a different coat of paint. I think it's lazy to keep the same shit going for years without trying to make things better. Only reason I was able to stomach BB was because of the Lovecraftian setting.

Spoiler:
If you want a proper lovecraft game, try out SInking City. Call of Cthulu is dogshit.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

Is sinking city the detective one? I’ve been on the fence as it didn’t get too much noise after release but I’ll check it out - cheers.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

dude they are all detective games lol

Okay look, Call of Cthulu is some first person no combat forced stealth horror game. You play as a, surprise, private eye who, surprise surprise, has his office in Boston and has, surprise, weird dreams. If they left out the forced stealth, it would at least make for a decent enough story. I'll say that the game was alright in my book - the tidbits were nice, the world was neat but then I came to the first boss and it was a catastrophe. You have to use stealth. The game gives you no hint at all what you are supposed to do - no hints, no notes, nothing, so I eventually just quit in frustration.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You are in a museum room and have to magically know that you can break open the display cases and take a dagger from said case and then cut up the painting the monster came from. The game has no notes or anything lying around that indicate that you can break the display cases, nor is destroying the environment ever required of you before that. In addition there are 4 display cases and only one of them holds the real dagger.

Sinking City on the other hand, you play a SURPRISE private eye who, surprise lives around Boston and surprise is plagued by weird dreams. It is a TPS with combat and a somewhat open world. The city is largely flooded but you can explore it by boat. There are some ruined buildings while you cruise around in your boat and a lot of parts of the city can be traversed by foot. The combat is nothing to write home about but it's good enough to make for a decent filler. A lot of interiors are literally copy and paste. Outside of these shortcomings, I'd say that the game nails the atmosphere and that feeling of dread pretty well. When you're cruising around in your boat and take in the destruction around you...I think they really did a good job there. The other thing that stands out is that it really handles the material well - if you read lovecraft you will recognize a lot of things - the most obvious one being Innsmouthers living in Oakmont. As for the detective part, the game gives you goals but how you go about those is up to you. It doesn't place markers on your map so you have to do some work on your own. Some quests just tell you to go to the crossing of X and Y street and you have to find it on the map yourself. Other quests require you to go to hit various archives to move forward. I think that part was pretty nicely done too.

Out of the two, I'd say that Sinking City is the game to go for and I can say that I enjoyed my time with it. Erec Kun played through it recently so he might be able to offer some input too.

Elec

Post by Elec »

Diadu wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:43 am Erec Kun played through it recently so he might be able to offer some input too.
10/10 atmosphere, it really does handle the material well like you mentioned, certainly the best of any game I've played. As far as negatives, the combat was rough and the ending was Mass Effect 3-tier. I loved that you could turn off the detective mode handholding that a lot of games have. Ending aside, 8/10; I got super into it.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

I'm torn on the endings. On the one hand, I wish they'd have your choices play a part in them and determine what Endings are available to you:
Ending A or Fuck it, I'm going home
Ending B or Fuck it, I'm going home
On the other hand, I felt the game was quite long with all it's cutscenes and side quests, so I'm not sure if I'd have done another playthrough just to see the other endings.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

Elec

Post by Elec »

It's a long shot, but I hope the PS2 SMT games end up getting ported as well once they're done milking Persona