Retroarch Semi Public

Anything Xbox related
Diadu
Site Admin

Retroarch Semi Public

Post by Diadu »

There's been talk going on that M$ is disabling Dev Accounts that allow people to run their xboxes in dev mode. Opinions are split on this, some are yelling "OMG JUST LIKE OTHEROS ON PS3 M$ IS KILLLING US" while others just shrug and claim that M$ is disabling inactive accounts.

anyway, for anyone interested there's currently an active and semi public retail build for retroarch floating around. Open Edge on your xbox and go to
gamr13.github.io
Scroll down to Retroplace and hit "install App"

You'll be redirected to the store page and from there you can download Retroarch for the Xbone.

I hooked up my external drive to my Series X which I have previously used for Retropie and the nVidia shield - in short it has all my roms and BIOS on it. Had to point Retroarch to the new BIOS folder and was able to launch a couple of PC Engine CD, PSP and Gamecube games.

Without fiddling with too many settings I was able to play

Parodius Portable (PSP)
Blazing Souls Accelate (PSP)
Simpsons Hit & Run (NGC)
Super Mario Sunshine (NGC)
Zelda Windwaker (NGC)

All of them ran fine on my Series X. I tried to run Eternal Darkness but that wouldn't load properly but I might have to change the settings for that (I once got to the initial Poe Quote). If I remember right, it used to have a bunch of issues with the Android port of Dolphin as well.

Elec

Re: Retroarch Semi Public

Post by Elec »

That's pretty rad, hope it works well on the S too.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

They use the same CPU so you should be good to go. The FTP tool on that site gives you read/write access to the internal file structure too so you can move things around freely for retroarch (Wii and PS2 will need their ISOs stored in the internal storage).

There are a few hiccups that I need to check like the new Dreamcast emulator and the Sega CD but stuff like PSP and PSX is running perfectly fine.

Wish the Doom port that came with Retroarch would be a port of GZDoom so you could run Brutal Doom.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

So I tried out some more games.

All the Saturn games that I've tried out are working (around 20 titles). There are no options to increase the image quality or anything but considering it's the Saturn that is to be expected, somewhat. Still nice to go back to some of those games regardless of resolution.

I've tried a couple of PS2 games as well - the PCSX2 requires some extra steps, you have to set up a folder structure for yourself outlined in the retroarch documentation, additionally, games have to be stored on the internal SSD and for some odd M$ shenanigans, you only get access to 30 GB on there. I've tried a couple of games and they all work. At first I was pretty disapointed that Wild Arms Alter Code F didn't seem to work but I tried out another ISO and that one worked. So as a last measure, try another iso if a game doesn't work. I think I'll give Castlevania Curse of Darkness a go on the weekend.

Gamecube works even on higher resolutions. Baten Kaitos has 2 or 3 lines that go across the background - it looks weird and is hard to describe, I'll see if I can grab a screenshot of that but it plays fine otherwise. I even tried out PSO Plus and Episode 3 and they worked - blast from the past yo. The only game causing issues is Eternal Darkness - that requires some settings that aren't readily visible in the emulator options I think, I'll have to look into that this weekend.