Playstation 5: an op ed.

Anything snoy related
Esufer

Re: Playstation 5: an op ed.

Post by Esufer »

Ugh big agree on the UI, I just fucking end up pinning stuff I actually play because the home screens are so obnoxious.

Sony’s layout isn’t massively better, I honestly think what we had on the Xbox 360 (both the older and newer versions of the home screens) were pretty close to perfect.

Maybe we’ll get to see some PS5 UI later today?

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Oh yeah the PS4 UI is far from perfect. It took them years to add folders and then neglected to add some sort of grid layout to folders. Sony's UI wins between the two simply because it's very minimalist in design - it's simple and fast. But I really started to hate them when they just downloaded demos or added tiles for sales or whatever to the UI. Not sure if they did that in the EU, but they did that a bunch of times in US.

Now the Xbone UI. When I got my first Xbone (before X) the UI was a total fucking mess. When I got a X again a few years later, they UI somewhat improved but was still cluttered with pointless things. Now after the last update, the UI is at least bearable and I'd say they are on a good track there.

I have no real opinion on Blades or the New Xbox Experience. Been too long. But the Blades was okay for it's time. I think I'm still using it on my modded OG Xbox.

Elec

Post by Elec »

Sony got it right with the XMB imo, I thought it worked well on everything it was integrated on. The blades on the 360 were cool too, and ran better than NXE IIRC. Problem with both of those, though, is that there's no room for shoving ads in your face.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Oh but they did manage to cram ADs in the XMB. At least in the EU. They added Singstar and Animax buttons.

Elec

Post by Elec »

Oh I remember hearing about that. Out here we got one game thing forced on there, but I can't remember what it was.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

I mainly used an US account too but don't remember seeing anything like that. What they pulled in the EU was fucking bullshit though. But then Sony US took that approach with the PS4. I recall Destiny demos downloading for a lot of people. Then they kept adding a tile for their dumbass sales to your UI. I don't remember the last game they did that with but I was really annoyed.