Modern Gaming stuff that needs to die

Anything else
Diadu
Site Admin

Modern Gaming stuff that needs to die

Post by Diadu »

I shortly touched upon it in Agent D's PS5 topic, but yeah things that really need to fuck off in modern gaming.

Forced (or not) Tutorials
Jesus fucking Christ. I hate those. I mean, yeah I get the need to explain a person how the game works since we got rid off manuals to safe the planet but I really wish developers wouldn't make those obnoxious or intrusive. If they can't be turned off they will potentially hinder another playthrough - looking at you Just Cause 3 which thought it was very important to cram in a 45 minute tutorial including a mission that explains to me how to use the map. Most of the time, these games lack the depth that would necessitate long winded tutorials - as for Just Cause 3, I really don't need a tutorial to tell me how to open the map and how to set waypoints because it's all explained in the prompts itself. Just let me dick around, I'll figure it out. Especially when it comes to generic TPS #2324 where you know that the gameplay was just an afterthought.

BONUS POINTS: The tutorials are just pop ups that pop up in the middle of the game and you just button mash them away because they interrupt the game for you and there is no way to read them again at a later point in the game.

Intrusive stuff
Things like taking control away from the player in an abrupt fashion, excessive animations, etc. RDR2 is a fine example here. The first few times, the animations for skinning or looting are pretty cool but the novelty wears off quickly and these animations begin to interrupt the flow of the game. I get it, you want to be realistic, but do we really need this overabundance of animations? Why can't we just skip them instead? I could say the same about excessive use of cutscenes.

Add more!

Elec

Re: Modern Gaming stuff that needs to die

Post by Elec »

The two you listed are pretty much it for me, if I have to do another music game tutorial I'm gonna lose it, thank god Project Diva Mega39s let you skip it. As far as lengthy animations, Dragonball FighterZ has been the main source of pain for me in that regard. Lots of level 3 supers go off in a match, and some of them take forever to finish; it would be nice if you could skip it so everyone can get on with their lives.
The only #3 I can think of is all of these modern games being marketed as a "service," especially since the parent companies have absolutely 0 intention of maintaining support for the game once their next game is out. Their idea of a "service" isn't some kind of long term support like an MMO, it's just slapping a battle pass and some microtransactions on top and calling it a day. Emphasis on "parent companies" there because sometimes the relevant studio actually wants to maintain support but the parent company isn't willing to spend the money, which is a shame.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Elec wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:50 am snip
I am actually glad that Disgaea & other NISA-brought-over-games let you skip those lengthy animations. I don't know about the DBFZ supers but I don't play it as much as you do, but I do find the stuff for Dragon Rush to be a bit lengthy (rarely play it because of those load times)

Games as a service is something that, thankfully, doesn't want to stick. At least for now. Especially because it's just a scam for now. In the eyes of the publishers, you "purchase" their game digitally, then the DLC over the course of 1 or 2 years and after that buy the new release digitally. It's their wet dream because they no longer have to pay royalties for discs and cases and the user is completely at their mercy (See WC3 where your game was updated to reforged). Have you caught wind of what Ubisoft is trying to do with Trackmania and the mental gymnastics they did? It was found out that Trackmania will be available for a yearly "sub" fee so it was labeled by players and magazines as a subscription based game. Ubisoft was like "Noooooooooo it's not subscription based, you just pay for it multiple times". We live in an odd time with a push for going digital and games being needlessly bloated (RDR2 on PS4 is 200 GB).

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

Early access can fuck off
Especially games that use early access as a business model
I'm looking at you Star Citizen

Elec

Post by Elec »

Early Access really does get abused, I just wait for a game to leave EA before buying it now because there's a pretty good chance it won't leave EA at all.
Speaking of another EA, games that have 3-4 different "editions" are really annoying. "Collectors" editions that are just the base game with some DLC codes suck.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

Reminder 7DTD has been in early access for 6.5 years, and still nukes your save every time they update the tileset

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Elec wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:26 pm "Collectors" editions that are just the base game with some DLC codes suck.
Remember, there are collector's editions out there, like for RDR2, that don't include the game.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

re-releases of skyrim and GTA V
both can fuck off

and when they get there
fuck off some more

inb4 "Skyrim Dragonborn Edition" or some shit on PS5
it's still not a stable 60fps