Why the Switch is so cool. An essay by me.

Nintentoddler ballpark
Diadu
Site Admin

Why the Switch is so cool. An essay by me.

Post by Diadu »

It's basically the Vita but with a TV out, a built in stand and Nintendo games.

Thanks for attending my TED Talk

Elec

Re: Why the Switch is so cool. An essay by me.

Post by Elec »

and it gets all the good wii u games so you don't need to have ever bought a wii u

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Are there any Wii U games missing?

I mean we are even getting every Mario game from 64 - Galaxy 2 later this year.

Elec

Post by Elec »

The only one missing is Pikmin 3, I think, and there have been rumors of it being in development for the Switch too. Every other 1st party game has either been directly ported(Bayonetta 2), given some kind of remaster or "definitive" version(MK8), or a sequel that very closely based on the Wii U entry(Smash Bros). There are plenty of other games that fit in those categories, especially the 2nd one: Hyrule Warriors, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles, Toad Treasure Tracker, etc. They're pretty much turning the system into a greatest hits compilation, minus the N64 and other handhelds(for now anyway). It really feels that way when you look at 3rd party ports too. Stuff like the Megaman Zero collection, or the Castlevania one, or the Mana one, and even some insane arcade deep cuts like Esp.Ra.De and those cheesecake Mahjong games. All of those same-y RPGs and dungeon crawlers from the PSP and Vita are slowly trickling in too, it's very close to being the ultimate port machine. As far as actual new stuff goes though, it's a little more disappointing. All of that Wii U stuff is new to me, and it's great to have a chance to play it, but the list of new IPs or entries that aren't just Wii U expansion packs is pretty sparse in comparison to the deluge of ports. Still fun though

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

I'm in the same boat, I skipped the Wii U so all these Wii U ports are completely new to me. I also don't mind some of the ports like I've bought the Borderlands Collection for the Switch because it has the good one in it (the first). I wouldn't mind some more ports either, like Konami could get off their lazy asses and port the Parodius collection or SE could make some quick buck with a SNES RPG Collection. I wouldn't mind paying up to $30 for those either because they're good and solid games I haven't played in a while. We're getting HotD 1+2 as well - how good that will be remains to be seen because I don't want to buy a labo for that. Porting Vita stuff seems to be like a no brainer for most publishers because the audience from the Vita most likely moved on to the Switch. And I was actually a bit disappointed that there were no GC games on the eShop. As far as I know, the Switch is more or less based on the nVidia Shield and in China nVidia is selling GC games wrapped up in an official GC emulator.

On the other hand, yeah it's a fair question to ask if we really need all these ports. Has anyone really asked for a port of the Bioshock trilogy? But I think "new" stuff keeps coming out at a more or less steady rate.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

Honestly I wish the Dpad wasn't literal ass, I can't believe there's not even a 1st-party replacement for the left joycon with a better dpad. Other than that rad af console

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

I have to say that the d pad on the joycons works surprisingly well. I expected it to be an utter disaster when playing blazblue but it works. If you want a good D Pad, try out the PowerA ones. I got a wired enhanched (with headphone jack) which works great. I saw wireless ones too, if you hate using USB cables.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

I'd seen the hori joycon, didn't consider other ones. Might just pick up a brook converter and keep using my Hori Fighting Commander, controller feels super great.

Agent D.

Post by Agent D. »

*cough*XenobladeX*cough*

I'd be intensely surprised if they figured out how to bring it to the switch without fucking it up entirely. The game was sort of custom made to work on the wii u...and was the driving reason I bought a wii u.

Esufer

Post by Esufer »

That ‘multiplayer’ though right, holy fuck. Xenoblade chronicles x was a massive letdown for me.