Internet Forums

Anything else
Diadu
Site Admin

Internet Forums

Post by Diadu »

I kind of hate that Internet Forums died in favor of social media. Not just because I am running one myself that is a corpse. Big forums like Resetera, well don't really need to talk about them, their moderation seems to be pants on head retarded - feels kind of weird to have these people in charge. On forums like Sega, Sony or MS you have to deal with rabid fanboys which is kind of tiresome. Then there's social media, which is kind of cool, but on the other hand it feels kind of weird to have this faceless giant loom over you and judge what's appropriate and what not. The worst part about this all is that shitposting is a thing of the past. I also kind of miss the times when I discovered a forum for running the old BUILD games in Windows XP or various, quite lively, PSO forums. It's a shame this all went to shit.

Esufer

Re: Internet Forums

Post by Esufer »

Big mood. Social media is a bag of shit, but unfortunately a necessary evil to stay in touch with a lot of people. I miss the golden age of forums.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Yeah I get it, it's nice for that, only reason why I still have facebook but it feels like your places to vent in a meaningful way or to just blow off some steam are disappearing. Most forums I went to back then had a little corner where members could vent, curse and whatnot and none got their panties in a knot either. It was pretty wild but was always confined to that small corner - in that corner mods would shoot the shit with others or have some banter but outside of that corner things always went civil. Try to vent on social media and you either have a whole lot of people trying to coddle you or the police/fbi/whatever knocking at your door. I mean, yeah, there's 4chan and all the other numbers but it lacks the connection. Back in the old days it was like "Yes Judge Dredd avatar, I agree with you, let's chat some more" but on 4chan when the thread is over, that's it. I really miss those long lasting connections you could build up with people over the most trivial shit.

Elec

Post by Elec »

The cesspool section most forums had was always the best part, especially when the forum would archive old threads that were particularly entertaining. When you didn't feel like talking about Me/Quicks or Pokemon, you can just go over there and BS with the same group of people. No one under a magnifying glass, no one getting cancelled, just people talking. It was about as close to just hanging out as a wall of text can get, short of an IRC server(RIP to those too, I hate Discord). Even this place, the list of people here who I actually played PSU with is in the single digits, but we were all here talking about whatever dumb stuff was going on in-game or otherwise, it was pretty much all corner compared to something like the oficical Sega forums or PSO-W.

Agent D.

Post by Agent D. »

Wait, how do you hate discord but liked irc? It's the same thing except everyone uses discord, and irc was for people who did more on a computer than check email and google "hot milf action".

Elec

Post by Elec »

It helped kill forums as much as social media did, and made discussing fighting games annoying. If I wanna do some good old nonsensical conversation, I go to a friend's discord server. Voice chat? Discord server. That's cool, and pretty convenient, but if I wanna talk about [fighitng game character], I can't just check out the community forum for that game, now I have to join a Discord server for that specific character. Now instead of forum threads or a wiki, you get a discord server, some twitter posts, and a google docs page that hasn't been updated since 2018. Forums got ditched in favor of it, but it doesn't handle archival and organization nearly as well as a forum can. In an effort to consolidate everything to Discord, all of these communities just got even more fragmented.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Dude just watch a youtube video! When I got Smash, I wanted to check out some stuff for Ganon, you know - how to play him, what to watch out for, etc. I watched 3 videos of "How to play Ganon" and all I got was
  • His basic moves
  • That he is heavy
  • That his recovery sucks
  • He uses his sword now
But nothing that was even remotely helpful or talked about what he should do in this or that situation. All 3 videos were the same stuff just voiced by a different guy, with different intros. As far as that stuff is concerned, I do miss in depth forums and reading stuff about games.

Those cesspool corners were exactly how the world should be. These days, the world is more like Resetera, which is funny to read but you can also feel a mixture of disgust and hate rising within you because you realize that these people have nothing better to do in their lives. I'll use PSO Quest as an example as a PSO forum that was actually pretty decent. I do agree that some sort of rules are needed so that some civility can be maintained. Can't have someone call a newbie a retard just because they ask a simple question but I think a lot of places went totally overboard with that - see PSOW or Official Sega Forums.

Also
Archiving
PM'd you the fix :)

One of those moments were I wish stuff like that wasn't recorded for eternity.

Elec

Post by Elec »

dead 6 part megaupload links

Agent D.

Post by Agent D. »

Diadu wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:32 pm Dude just watch a youtube video!
Now THIS I hate. It's becomes so popular to suggest a youtube video for everything, but like 99/100 videos always follow the same annoying as 10+ minute format of

"Hey, it's *generic ass name* aka *cringey generic ass handle* (sometimes a second aka because 1 handle isn't enough?)"
"Before we start, I just wanna give a shoutout to *5-8 random fucks who idk, i try to skip it usually* and remind you all that *some event was mentioned in a previous video or something*"
4 minutes of explanations using references and shorthand they made up and used in previous videos so I'm lost if I don't watch those.
Brief summary that SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE GODDAMN VIDEO TO BEGIN WITH YOU TIME WASTING PIECE OF FUCKING GARBAGE!
"Don't forget to like and subscribe, and be sure to leave a comment below for a chance to win *some fucking garbage, I doubt they actually ever send people stuff* and I'll see you next time."

Seriously, every youtube "how to in X game" video ever. It's infuriating.

Diadu
Site Admin

Post by Diadu »

Elec wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 pm dead 6 part megaupload links
You must be registered and logged in to view links.
You need at least 5 posts to be able to view links.
Your post is awaiting moderator approval.
Error: New members can't post more than one message a day.

Other than that, I also think you can have much better discussions on an online forum than on say Twitter (lol character limit) or discord where every goddamn moron can shout in while you are discussing something with someone else. Yeah that can happen on forums too, but the conversation doesn't scroll up the screen.

Yeah, how to x videos are the worst there are.