Diadu Forum

Author Topic: Switch  (Read 13828 times)

Elec

• View Profile
Switch
« on: March 14, 2018, 11:43:26 AM »
This is truly the port machine the Vita always wanted to be. Splatoon is fun too. Did any of you other dudes get one?

Esufer

• 2b a best
    • View Profile
Re: Switch
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »
My wife has one. I'm gonna get one in may.

Jaspaller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
Yessir, have had mine for almost a year now. Most of my gaming time on it consists of Zelda and Splatoon

Elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:58:36 PM »
I took the bait and got Zelda about a week ago. I am not having the greatest time but mayhaps it gets better, only 10h in so far. My friend code is SW-3364-3100-3934, we ought to play some Splatoon and catch up on the last like, 9 years. For example, apparently Esufer is married now.

Diadu

• Administrator
    • diadu_
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 01:37:26 AM »
I am only speaking from gameplay footage I have seen for BotW but I get the feeling that this big open world is a big open world full of nothingness and nothing's more boring than that because you start to think of what could have been and it's something that seems to plague a lot of open world games.

Jaspaller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 06:22:42 AM »
I am only speaking from gameplay footage I have seen for BotW but I get the feeling that this big open world is a big open world full of nothingness and nothing's more boring than that because you start to think of what could have been and it's something that seems to plague a lot of open world games.
In a lot of areas I suppose that's something I can agree with. Windwaker is still the biggest offender when it comes to an open world full of nothingness (speaking strictly of the Zelda games). BOTW does have enemies and shrines all over the place but eventually you hit the point where you've explored half the map but you feel you've done it all already. Places start to look alike, enemy mobs are few and far sometimes.

I've talked to two other friends about it too and it seems we all got burnt out on the game the same way because of wanting to explore and not doing the objectives. At that point I had to push myself to continue on the main story.

Now I've done most of everything save for the korok seeds, regular sidequests and upgrading every armor I have. I'd like to go back and do that just so I can say I did it and have a perfect file but I've got other games to play right now.

I took the bait and got Zelda about a week ago. I am not having the greatest time but mayhaps it gets better, only 10h in so far. My friend code is SW-3364-3100-3934, we ought to play some Splatoon and catch up on the last like, 9 years. For example, apparently Esufer is married now.
Yes, I still vaguely remember the day when were running MAG on PSU360 and making jokes about a 'Big ol' black dog'. You may not remember it but it was a pretty memorable day for me lol.

Last year I met MidicronicaX in person for the very first time if any of you guys remember him. We were both at a friends wedding and I've gotta say the man is just as hilarious in person as he is on voice chat.

I started switching out the shells for the joycons too. I'm changing to atomic purple with the colored buttons. One side done but and the other to go.

I would post the image or a tweet to an image but it doesn't look to be working on my end.

Anyways, I'm on Discord and Skype if you wanna chat and game sometime.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:24:54 AM by Jaspaller »

Diadu

• Administrator
    • diadu_
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »
Those joycons look pretty neat. Reminds me a bit of a Gamecube controller I had.

As for the open world thing, I think I'll make a separate thread for that.

Elec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »
Yes, I still vaguely remember the day when were running MAG on PSU360 and making jokes about a 'Big ol' black dog'. You may not remember it but it was a pretty memorable day for me lol.
I will always remember that as the hardest I have ever laughed at anything up to that point. I can barely remember anything specific, I just remember laughing.

Some of those case swaps look really cool, I am probably gonna get orange, in honor of my N64.

I'm actually warming up to Zelda now, about 20 hours in(a good 5 of those are probably from being afk, too). So far I just get to a high point, look for anything interesting, and then go check it out. Don't really care about saving Zelda, and it doesn't seem like Captain Falcon's clone is gonna show up to make things interesting, so it's been fairly bland as far as the story goes. My main complaint is that there haven't really been any dungeons so far. There are shrines with different puzzles to solve but none of them are difficult, and most don't have enemies unless the gimmick of that particular shrine is about combat. I have done 2 of the big robot animal dungeons and outside of the bosses, the most dangerous thing has been water. A more subjective issue is that I would rather make my own character than be playing as Link, maybe a rock man or a desert lady. It would fit too, because a lot of places kinda feel like someone has already cleared them and you're just checking out what's left. It does get credit for refining the Assassin's Creed gameplay model of "get to the top of the tower", it's actually pretty fun in this game so far.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:12:59 PM by Elec »

Jaspaller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 05:22:09 AM »
Those joycons look pretty neat. Reminds me a bit of a Gamecube controller I had.
These ones in particular are based on the old N64 controllers (and the Gameboy Color). For me the cherry on top for the shells though is the extra colored buttons. It just makes the already awesome shells look even more amazing. You know I could have sworn that there were see through gamecube controllers as well but I guess they were of the unofficial kind (like madcatz)

Either way I love the transparent shells for anything. Being able to see the insides has always been interesting to me. I'm just not a big fan of having to do it myself like these joycons.

Some of those case swaps look really cool, I am probably gonna get orange, in honor of my N64.

If you do decide to do that just be careful with tightening the screws. Do it too much and buttons become stuck and unresponsive... do it too little and things won't fit back together well. Also make sure that the battery connector is back in tight. I gave myself a scare when it wouldn't charge while connected... turned out that I didn't push the connector to the motherboard in tight.
Might not be worth it to do the actual switch. You're kinda screwed if your switch messes up and you have to send it in for repairs.

Captain Falcon's clone
Took me a bit to get the joke lol. A+

I'm actually warming up to Zelda now, about 20 hours in(a good 5 of those are probably from being afk, too). So far I just get to a high point, look for anything interesting, and then go check it out. Don't really care about saving Zelda, and it doesn't seem like Captain Falcon's clone is gonna show up to make things interesting, so it's been fairly bland as far as the story goes.
The majority of the game was pretty much that for me until I got bored and decided to push myself to finish the game.

My main complaint is that there haven't really been any dungeons so far. There are shrines with different puzzles to solve but none of them are difficult, and most don't have enemies unless the gimmick of that particular shrine is about combat. I have done 2 of the big robot animal dungeons and outside of the bosses, the most dangerous thing has been water. A more subjective issue is that I would rather make my own character than be playing as Link, maybe a rock man or a desert lady. It would fit too, because a lot of places kinda feel like someone has already cleared them and you're just checking out what's left. It does get credit for refining the Assassin's Creed gameplay model of "get to the top of the tower", it's actually pretty fun in this game so far.
See this is one of the big issues I had as well with the shrines and 'dungeons'. They don't feel like dungeons. I liked going to big dungeons, finding the gimmick weapon, and using said gimmick weapon to get through the dungeon. For me it worked. Making small/mini dungeons with the shrines are cool and all but I would've at least liked to see 7 or 8 bigger dungeons like before. Yeah the divine beasts are the second closest thing. Hyrule castle is the closest if you're willing to go through the whole thing, it's pretty huge (or you could just paraglide over half the dungeon). Maybe I'm just spoiled by the usual formula.

I'm not a big fan of popping into a shrine to work on it for a few minutes then going back to doing something else in the game... I just feel it ruins the rhythm I guess?

The guardians and the Lynels are the hardest in the game. Most of the guardians are just annoying because they laser you from afar. The lynels actually test you a bit with dodging and parrying. If you can handle the Lynels you can handle anything really.

Elec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
I got bing bing wahoo about a week ago, and it has been much more fun than Zelda. It was pretty iffy at the start, but at New Donk City it really started picking up. It is definitely pretty easy overall(first death was in the last stage of story mode), but it's still an enjoyable experience overall. The amount of control over Mario is kind of waste though, because there aren't many things that really require executing tactical wahoos at a high level(so far at least). It's also surprisingly short, I was execting there to be about 5 or 6 more stages. A final stage unlocks at 500 moons apparently, so maybe that one will require higher execution and help make up for how short the game is otherwise. Definitely an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me overall. Zelda's probably a 7, but I haven't finished it so it doesn't feel fair to rate it yet.

Esufer

• 2b a best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 07:58:32 PM »
wife bought me a switch for my birthday
splatoon 2 is gud
shantae half genie hero is gud
fire emblem warriors is pretty fun in short bursts, definitely an improvement on hyrule warriors
the doom port is astounding (no idea what bullshit pact they made with satan to get it running on a switch that well) - be warned, it looks shit when docked though.
i bought resi revelations for some reason too i guess?

Steve Jorbs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 11:39:32 PM »
How is the plastic on the controller swap? I've heard some of them feel pretty off. Not using the proper grade of plastic I guess.

Jaspaller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »
wife bought me a switch for my birthday
splatoon 2 is gud
shantae half genie hero is gud
Fite me bruh. I mean, add me SW-1854-6879-4963
I bought the day one ultimate edition of shantae. The mighty switch force mode makes me extremely happy. I never bothered playing the other games but it's probably about time I did.

How is the plastic on the controller swap? I've heard some of them feel pretty off. Not using the proper grade of plastic I guess.
The plastic itself is smooth. The regular shells feel a little grippy in comparison so I can see what they mean when they say it feels off. Also it feels like it's a little less rigid... like I could bend it by squeezing it if I wanted to, but not enough to break it.